Concrete is subject to freeze and thaw and will expand and contract based on the weather. If the material is packed too tightly, this expansion and contraction will cause the surface to develop cracks and that can compromise the durability and aesthetics of the floor. Expansion cutting is the best way to avoid this problem as it would provide the floor with more flexibility to expand. At Syd Cut, we add discreet cuts to concrete floorings and slabs to control the expansion and keep the floor steady and flexible.
Why Do You Need Expansion Cutting?
Most people don’t understand the need for expansion cutting and don’t want to compromise the aesthetic of the floor. While this is understandable, it can cause problems in the future and lead to expensive repairs. Here are a few reasons why you should do expansion cutting on your flat concrete surfaces:
- Durability and Resilience – Your concrete floor will be much more resilient and durable if you add these cuts to the surface. They’re a way to release pressure and allow the surface to breathe so your concrete will settle easily and become strong after the curing process is done.
- Controlled Cracks – These cuts are placed strategically and carefully in order to control the natural cracks that will happen as a result of concrete movement. If you don’t add expansion cuts to the surface, the cracks will form at random wherever the pressure is most intense. This is difficult to predict and can compromise the strength and aesthetic of the concrete.
Expansion Cutting Process
We’ve been a part of this industry for a long time and have mastered the expansion cutting process. We understand how to control the cracks and make sure the concrete behaves as we want it to. Here’s a brief explanation of our process:
- We’ll assess the concrete surface carefully and discuss the aesthetics with you. Some people don’t want lines across their concrete and prefer a smooth finish so we will plan accordingly.
- Our technicians will then measure the surface carefully and determine the areas that would face the most tension and pressure. We’ll also determine the possible direction of the future cracks in order to plan our expansion cutting well.
- We can hide these cuts under walls, installations, fixtures, etc, if you want a smooth, unmarred concrete in the exposed areas of the surface.
Our experienced and licensed technicians will use the latest tools and techniques to make precise cuts that don’t go too deep or damage the concrete in any way. They’ll also take very safety precaution in the book to ensure no one is harmed during the cutting process and on the worksite. With us, you can be certain you’ll get reliable results.
At Syd Cut, we’re happy to answer any questions you might have about our expansion cutting services so feel free to get in touch with us today. You can call us on 1300 513 889 or fill in this form and we’ll reply as quickly as we can.